Tuesday, December 6, 2016

My Fair Lady - Movie Review

What can I say? It takes a lifetime of watching movies and trying to write a few sensible lines to understand what goes into the making of such a film. Never have I appreciated the beauty of the story, the writing, the acting so much and this is not the first time I am watching My Fair Lady.

I was completely blown away by the layered characters, their wisdom, their honesty to their flaws in themselves. From the first scene to the last the movie held me enthralled - Rex Harrison and his Professor Higgins to Audrey Hepburn, the flower girl Eliza Doolittle, Colonel Pickering to Alfred Doolittle (what a character), it was unbelievably good. This is what they call writing, rich and thoughtful, deep and insightful, full of knowledge about the vagaries of human nature. I could watch some scenes again and again - to start with the meeting between Alfred Doolittle and Higgins for the five pounds. And I am glad I developed enough sensibility to stand in awe and appreciate it all.

Heavenly. No wonder they are classics - you are hooked on to them from the first scene to the last, you can watch them again and again, and they make as much sense in 2016 as they did in 1964.

No comments: