Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Star Wars: The Force Awakens - Movie Review

A friend of mine asked me if I had the entire collection of Star Wars. He wanted his young kids to watch the entire series before he showed them the 7th. I remember watching the first one perhaps before I dropped off the Star Wars. I don't think I will watch any more.

Star Wars 7 is one that all die hard fans would watch. For non-fans like me there is precious little. I found it too cliched and juvenile, with predictable lines (May the force be with you!) and scenes. I found it difficult to engage with their stories, their emotions - even in 3D. When the robots made funny noises some people laughed. The girl keeps crying often for no reason but I did not feel like crying with her. Harrison Ford is struggling with his joints which is the loss of an illusion. The great Luke Skywalker appears like a shepherd atop a hill, looking rather lost in the end (if I were the girl I'd have checked his id). Mostly it is about bad parenting by Ford and his wife who bring up a terrible fellow who goes about in a complicated costume as their son. It's one of the most boring movies I have seen especially in the context of the background, the epic characters and the money and talent at his disposal. Enough said. Let me now move on and find a way to end the year on a good note.

No comments: